what is the alliance?
Founded in 2018, The Alliance is Five Acres’ Young Professionals Volunteer and Advocacy Guild. Entirely peer-led, this diverse group of young people creates enriching, life skills-focused activities for LA’s foster youth and serve as a mouthpiece for them in the community.
what kind of volunteering work do alliance members do?
plan activities for foster kids
Most foster youth are separated from the family members and friends who might otherwise help them uncover hidden talents and define career paths. Alliance members tap into their own life experiences to create activities that focus on education, self-care, nutrition and fitness—all designed to expose Five Acres’ foster youth to fresh ideas and new experiences to help them thrive.
volunteer at five acres’ major fundraisers
Five Acres hosts two major fundraisers every year: Gala in May/June and the Golf Classic and Dinner in September. Alliance members serve as first-string volunteers at at least one of these events, which help fuel Five Acres’ programs in foster care, adoption and mental health services for at-risk kids and families.
raise awareness for la’s foster care crisis
There are more than 20,000 foster youth in LA alone. Many are at an extremely high risk of becoming homeless, incarcerated or unemployed within just two years of aging out. Alliance members spotlight these deserving kids through fun mixers and advocacy events to build a community of friends, volunteers and potential foster parents for these children.
join the alliance today!
Let’s answer some basic FAQs before you join:
• Members of The Alliance are generally between the ages of 21–45
• Activities/events are in the Los Angeles area
• Dues are $120/year which solely fund kids’ activities and advocacy events (pro-rated depending on join date)
• All volunteers must complete the volunteer application and pass a background check and TB test
• We meet monthly the second Tuesday of every month at Five Acres in Altadena, CA, but sometimes mix it up and host a meeting at a local bar or restaurant!
• We’re about building friendships and meaningful community, too. No matter your background, you’re welcome here.
Ready to learn more? Contact us at email@example.com | (626) 773-3776.